Call today us today at 716-629-3400 to schedule an appointment with one of our licensed psychologists.
Office: 415 North French Road, Amherst, NY 14228
Pediatric behavioral health is important.
If your child is going through a tough time, acting out, or feeling overly worried or fearful, we can help by providing assessment and brief, effective interventions.While The Summit Center is widely-known as a premiere center for children and adults with developmental disabilities, we also provide services for typically-developing children. The Behavioral Pediatrics Clinic at The Summit Center offers short-term interventions to families struggling with common childhood problems including depression, anxiety, behavior challenges, or concerns related to ADHD and autism spectrum disorders.
Providing behavioral therapy for children is just one of our focus areas. Our professionals can also help with feeding, sleeping and toileting difficulties.
Our clinical team is comprised of licensed psychologists with specialized training in the treatment of childhood problems. To help ensure coordinated care, Summit providers maintain contact with referring physicians providing them with regular treatment summaries.
Assessments and Therapy for children and families
Summit’s Licensed Psychologists are experienced in diagnosing the full range of DSM psychological and mental health disorders in children and adolescents. Additionally, our professionals provide specialized evaluations for Autism Spectrum Disorders using the ADOS and ADI-R, considered the “Gold Standard” tools for autism assessment. Most diagnostic evaluations are covered by health insurance plans. Professionals are also available to provide specialized behavioral assessment services, including functional behavioral assessments (FBAs) and Functional Analyses (FAs) for individuals on the autism spectrum who present with challenging behaviors.
Finally, our professionals will assess pediatric behavioral health by providing targeted evaluations in the areas of cognitive functioning/intelligence, adaptive behavior, academic skills, speech/language, occupational therapy, physical therapy and vocational.
The conditions we treat include:
- Anxiety disorders including: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), generalized anxiety, panic disorder, specific phobias, social anxiety, separation anxiety and school phobia.
- Disruptive behavior disorders including: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), conduct disorder (CD), and general behavior problems
- Elimination disorders including enuresis, nocturnal enuresis and encopresis
- Mood disorders including dysthymia and depression
- Pervasive developmental disorders including: Autism, Asperger’s Disorder and PDD-NOS
- Others conditions including tics, Tourette’s, habit disorders, thumb-sucking, sleep problems, selective mutism, tantrums, defiant behavior and social delays.
The Summit Center is committed to providing treatment options that have documented evidence of effectiveness.
Treatment options include:
- Anger management groups for adolescents
- Cognitive-behavior therapy
- Coping skills training
- Systematic desensitization
- Exposure and response prevention
- Habit reversal
- Parent child interaction therapy
- Organizational skills groups
- Parenting education
- Parent-teen negotiation
- Saturday Treatment Program for children with ADHD
- Self-control therapy
- Skill building
- Social development groups
- The Coping CAT
Get in touch with the Behavioral Pediatrics Clinic at The Summit Center located in WNY to see how we can help.