March 5, 2021
Vaccine Information for Summit Families
Effective February 15, 2021, New Yorkers with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities became eligible to receive a Covid-19 vaccine. As of today, three vaccines have been approved for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
1. Moderna (Approved for ages 18 and up). Requires 2 shots, 28 days apart. Information about the Moderna vaccine is available from the CDC website.
2. Pfizer-BioNTech (Approved for ages 16 and up). Requires 2 shots, 21 days apart. Information about the Pfizer vaccine is available from the CDC website.
3. Jannsen Covid-19 Vaccine (Johnson & Johnson). Approved for ages 18 and up. Requires 1 shot. Information is available on the CDC website.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that children who are eligible receive the vaccine. “Widespread administration of the vaccine is a huge step toward returning to ‘normal,’ a time when we can safely visit, share meals, play together and hug our grandchildren,” said AAP President Lee Savio Beers, M.D., FAAP. “We talk about game-changers. The vaccine is a game-changer and we urge everyone who has the opportunity to get it to sign up now.”
The vaccine supply is expected to increase significantly change in the coming weeks. Following are a few options for making an appointment to get the vaccine. Please keep in mind that information and websites are updated regularly – often multiple times each day – so please check back for the latest information.
1. New York State-operated vaccine sites, click here: https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/
2. Erie County Vaccine information, click here: https://www2.erie.gov/health/index.php?q=covid-19-vaccine-information
3. Niagara County Vaccine information, click here: https://www.niagaracounty.com/health/Services/Public-Health-Preparedness/2019-Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-19/COVID-19
In addition to wearing a mask, social distancing, and staying home when ill, the Covid-19 vaccine is a crucial step in our ongoing fight against the Coronavirus. Thank you for your continued cooperation.
Download flyer with this information.